… or … What would cause an intelligent Social Democratic Progressive to vote for Donald Trump?
With a conviction sharing traits of a religious zealot, I “truly” believe that a Hillary Clinton Presidency will spell disaster for the Democratic Party and America. Unlike the religious zealot however, my “belief” is even greater and more profound s it is founded on not just faith, but 7 rational conclusions as well.
- Hillary is disliked by the majority of Americans. 53% to date (Real Clear Politics). Don’t imagine for a second that things are going to get better. Hillary lacks the charisma or trust-ability to turn this around. In fact, polls show that the less the public sees of Hillary, the more they like her. Unfortunately, as POTUS you can’t hide in the closet and her Presidency will tarnish the Party name.
- The Young do not like Hillary and the young are the voters of tomorrow. Once Mom kicks them off the PlayStation and out of living in her cellar the New-Millennials will have to start acting responsibly, get jobs and vote. Youth is not particularly inspired by Hill. So don’t expect a new generation of avid Democrats coming through the pipeline.
- The Democratic Party is split between Neo-Libs and Progressives. Progressives don’t like Hillary either. Four years of disappointing Presidency will drive the division wedge even deeper, weakening or destroying the Party.
- The Republicans. They control the Houses and if trends hold stand to make gains. Only twice, 1934 and 2002, has the residing President’s party actually gained seats in both the House and the Senate. They more or less shut down Obama and they will do the same to Hillary. A Hillary Presidency will accomplish even less than Obama.
- Bad for women? While electing the first woman in 2016 as POTUS sounds neat-o-keen. It is an irrelevant historical side note that would change nothing or the lives of women much in the same way Obama changed nothing for the lives of Blacks. However wrong and unfair, the almost certain failure of a strongly disliked Female President may well leave a negative sentiment lingering about a woman in the highest office.
- The Blame Game. The next 4 years on Capital Hill will be a grid-locked, mud-slinging affair that will change nothing for the better in the life Joe the Plumber. Whichever Party is sitting in the White House will inherit the mantle of failure (whether guilty or not) for the decline of America come 2020.
- Keep your eye on the prize. 2020 is the only real prize in who’s glow a Single Supreme Court seat pales. In 2020 the district lines will be redrawn. Gerrymandering will allow those in power to effectively redistribute voting blocks to guarantee huge advantages in elections for the next 20 years. Whichever Party’s Presidency has just suffered through the clusterf*ck of the Blame Game (#6) will be punished by the voter.
In Conclusion, no matter who the next POTUS is they will inherit a gridlocked Washington Machine that is hated and distrusted by the vast majority of American’s. The Winner loses, but so does America. Either way.